Tuesday, April 28, 2009

School's Out for the Day...Kids Going off to Camp 2 days Each...See you Next Week

I am so excited about my special classes! My grade three class is the youngest, but they are suyrprisingly so clever. Although they're all at different levels on their English skill, they all seem to be hard workers who love to have fun, so it makes the class enjoyable. I find myself having to pay close attention to timing, because there is so much I need to get done in a short period, so I have to be on top of things. If it's all ready and on-task, we learn so much together, and I get to play gamesthat remind me of summer camp.

It is so true--if you are planning on being a teacher, you really should take at least one summer and spend it at summer camp. I love my brainstorming hour after all the kids have left for the day--this hour here right now--when I can think about tomorrow's lessons and how I will get my point accross. I find myself wanting to bring more and more of what I love about camp into the classroom. and what's really cool--it's TOTALLY possiible. I have to say to myself, "I want to play ship to shore. How can I do that with 35 kids and little elbow room? how can I keep hell from breaking loose?" and then I make a plan and pray it works.

In the end, the core component of my job title is keeping from Hell breaking loose. She who controls the children when the world is settled in for the day...she controls the keys to the kingdom.

Don't you get a little pang in your gut, you poor poor saps who live in a school zone, every time you hear that evening bell ringing out over the quiet ofthe neighborhood? and the screams and shuffling begin...and the dog's start to squeal....
....why are there so many rules in the area surrounding a school....?
Hell on earth....
...gotta keep it under wraps...
and hecks! might as well have a little fun with it while I can!

Here's hoping you keep your distance while you can.
Sus

No comments:

Post a Comment