Friday, June 25, 2010

Fun Fact!


The War between North and South Korea broke out on July 25th, exactly 60 years from this date. It was a sad and brutal war that tore families apart.

I would like to reccommend to you the film, Taeguki (also known as The two brothers), an amazing drama about two brothers who end up fighting in the war.

It is extremely well done and totally accessible to nonkorean audience.
As everyone knows, Korea is split into two incredibly different countries, and as time goes on, the two Koreas follow separate paths; ever diversifying, changing, separating.
Can you believe it? there are people in this country who honestly really remember before the War? and people whose living family members may or may not be living on the other side. rest assured, most people (if not all) Korean people have some type of relative--however removed--These two countries, dedicated to their culural identities as Korean peoples and predominatedly dedicated to marrying and procreating within it, are bonded by blood closer than anything else someone could imagine.
Days like this remind me--with a resounding boom--that I am living in a foreign world, even three years later. I interact with it, walk around in it, make friends in it--but I'm not a part of it. I can do my best to participate and understand, appreciate, but I will never be more than a weygookin foreigner in this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment